Things sure have been different lately, and it feels like the pace of life has changed. Thankfully though, some things remain the same — the weather is getting warmer, and spring has finally sprung. We know Mother’s Day will look a little different for many families this year, and as senior living communities are wisely putting the health of their residents first, guests and visitors will be limited. That’s why it’s a great time to think about celebrating Mother’s Day virtually.
If you’re brainstorming how your community can help children and grandchildren celebrate Mother’s Day virtually, we have some unique ideas to consider:
- Encourage children to submit videos to their moms through social media or an online community newsletter giving thanks.
- Alternatively, have children share their favorite bit of helpful advice from their mom.
- Hold a “mom’s famous recipe” contest to collect recipes, and then digitally publish them as part of a community cookbook.
- Plan a family board game night online using a website like Tabletopia to virtually connect.
Many children are also looking to give mom just the right gift this year. Some may look to Etsy to support small businesses while customizing fun gifts. Others are finding connection by starting a book of the month club or making a custom photo book. Sending flowers from a local florist is also a great way to support local businesses and bring a piece of spring into the community. On the note of florists, consider partnering to coordinate a once-a-day delivery to your community and promote them as a preferred provider.
In addition, we put together a quick list of other gift ideas you might find helpful to share with families via email or social media:
- A customized boxed gift from Lemon Drop Gifts
- A custom-scented candle from Flores Lane
- Capture Mom’s story with Story Terrace
- Share gratitude in your own words
Whether helping families send love virtually or through a special gift, this is an important year to help them show Mom how much they care. We are all in this together, and with a little love and support, we can all let one of the most important people in our lives know just how much she means to us.